The following list is for general information purposes only. Treating Autism does not endorse any of the organisations, therapies or products listed below.
- A Breath for Life is a small children’s charity dedicated to providing affordable Hyperbaric Oxygen treatment to children with celebral palsy and neurological disorders.
- Adrenal fatique is often reported in people with autism. The above websites offer detailed information on adrenal fatigue in general, including available tests and treatments.
- Friendly Food diet, Elimination diet and lots of info and advice by Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney
- Biotechnology company offering a range of tests to aid in the management of various illnesses and conditions including urine analysis based on dietary-derived peptides and related compounds and markers of gut dysbiosis. Other tests are currently in development responsive to evidence from new research. Services are open to healthcare professionals and direct to the public.
- Amercian Network for Dietary Information
- Link to all the studies done on gf/cf diet and gastrointestinal studies
- Autism Research Institute – lots of information about the DAN! protocol and links
“The Autism Revolution for Medical Intervention (ARMI) is a nonprofit, volunteer led organization working towards redefining our understanding of autism. Our goal is to make what we already know become common knowledge…autism is a set of symptoms caused by a medical illness. We are advocating to have autism removed from the DSM-V, we are advocating for medical treatment, we are advocating to ensure research dollars are utilized wisely and efficiently, and we are advocating for prevention. Please join us. Alone, there is little we can do about autism…together we will be unstoppable!”
- Aspartame toxicity centre.
- The hows and whys of detoxing from aspartame.
- French organisation focused on biomedical interventions and ABA educational therapy
- Invaluable tool for ascertaining the efficacy of biomedical treatments and therapies. Complete at the start of your journey and thereafter every three months. Keep them safe.
- Excellent UK based Yahoo group – very friendly and full of good advice and support. Several hundred members from across the UK and Europe.
- Founded in 2001, Autism Cymru has a national brief in Wales. Autism Cymru aims to make a real difference to the provision and delivery of services for people with autistic spectrum disorders in Wales
- Autism Eye is a quarterly magazine and website dedicated to helping parents and professionals to help children with autism. Gillian Loughran and Mark Hayes, the editor and publisher, created Autism Eye to provide in-depth, well-researched, useful information covering news, research, education, treatments, therapies and legal issues. The couple are the parents of a child with autism, as well as both being national award-winning journalists.
- Cinema screenings at Picturehouse cinemas throughout UK, check the links for your nearest cinema. Especially for people on the Autism spectrum or with other special access needs and their family, friends and carers. During the screenings lights are left on low and the sound is reduced to lessen the sensory impact, and customers can move around, make a noise or take a break from the screen.
- Very busy US group, favours the Cutler protocol.
- Autism Treatment Plus (AT+) provides diagnostic, medical and educational services, based on two approaches; biomedical intervention and behaviour therapy. AT+’s team of consultants comprises of professionals in the field including, medical doctors, research scientists, behavioural analysts and psychologists. These professionals aim to ensure we are providing a holistic approach to diagnosing and treating autism.
- EMF products
- UK company with wide range of supplements and excellent telephone support. Products now available for purchase via website – telephone for support, advice and a brochure
- Biokult Probiotics, excellent service and support.
- Based at the Pathology Department of Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust, this lab has has state of the art equipment for the determination of Vitamin D levels in blood. Clear instructions on how to collect the blood spot are provided with the test pack.
- specialist hotel in Blackpool for people with special needs
- Breadlink is the only UK supplier of organic sprouted flours, including gluten-free varieties. Members of Treating Autism are eligible for a discount on the entire product range.
- Based in Hemel Hempstead and specialising in environmental medicine, the hospital treats adults with autism and those with similar health related conditions such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, MS, lyme disease.
- If your child tolerates dairy you will find excellent information on this page on why butter is good for you, as well as why butter is nutritionally superior to margarine.
- Autistic child friendly holidays in Catalunya, Spain, offering a holiday for all the family in a caring and understanding environment. Equine therapy and special diet foods available.
- European distributors of Kirkman, New Beginnings and Brainchild supplements. Specialist product – Transdermal MB12 – a convenient alternative to injections. Treating Autism members receive a discount here.
This innovative research group at John Hopkins University School of Medicine works to identify novel opportunities for modifying human nutrition to develop protective agents – such as sulforaphane compound extracted from broccoli sprouts – that will reduce the risk of a variety of chronic diseases, including autism.
- This page contains videos and other media and information dedicated to chronic illness recovery published by Stan Kurtz the owner of Children’s Corner. Stan also moderates the progressive online Health group that collaborates with 1200 families helping to improving chronic illness using the techniques Stan developed while recovering himself from IBS and ADHD and his son Ethan from autism.
- Special toothbrushes – great for children with ASD
- Communicating with autistic children may be difficult, but it is not impossible. Autistic children often do not pick up on the same verbal and nonverbal cues that spur communication in non-autistic individuals. They may act out of emotion or have limited areas of interest that limit the ability to communicate.
- Help with interpretation of results
- At the Centre for Digestive Diseases long standing research in this area has indicated that the most likely cause of the common variety constipation found in the majority of patients is caused by an infection with a bacterial agent that has entered the bowel through the mouth and has begun to coexist with normal human bowel flora… Click on the link for more info.
- This website aims to provide a UK-wide counselling support network, enabling those in distress to find a counsellor close to them and appropriate for their needs. This is a free, confidential service that will hopefully encourage those in distress to seek help. It contains a number of sections on emotional disorders (types of distress section), including Asperger’s Syndrome. Every counsellor on the site who has submitted their profile has either sent a copy of their qualifications and insurance cover to us, or is registered with a professional body online with recognised codes of ethics and practice.
- Dancing Giraffe is a web portal for the disabled community. It launched an Essex pilot in January 2012. The aim of Dancing Giraffe is to provide a platform for better signposting and communication about the wide range of possibilities available, and to enrich the lives of disabled people and their care-network throughout the UK. Dancing Giraffe is a not-for-profit organisation. To find out more visit www.dancinggiraffe.com or follow us on facebook and twitter.
- For Hair Testing, Faecal & Urine Toxic Metals, see Hair Testing Info in the useful documents section of the Treating Autism site for UK handling of samples for DDI
- Nutritional support for special children and their families
- ESPA Research is a UK-based not-for-profit subsidiary of the charity ESPA (Education & Services for People with Autism). We are committed to carrying out research into various aspects of autism spectrum conditions including the effectiveness of gluten- and casein-free dietary interventions and the accompanying search for biomarkers potentially indicative of dietary response. All our work is for public benefit and reliant on donations from the public and organisations.
- Personalised home-based sound therapy package that maintains the Berard Auditory Integration protocol and standards.
- Food and Behaviour Research (FAB Research) is a charitable organisation dedicated both to advancing scientific research into the links between nutrition and human behaviour and to making the findings from such research available to the widest possible audience.
We are a charity based in south west London who’s mission is to raise awareness on the importance of optimum nutrition in mental health. We work to inform organisations and empower individuals to change their diet and lifestyle and take greater control of their own mental health. Our unique specialist clinic, the Brain Bio Centre, also located in south west London, has a team of nutritional therapists who will work with you to identify nutritional or biochemical deficiencies and imbalances, which may be contributing to your symptoms. We will provide you with a tailored programme to correct these issues in order to restore your health.
- Independent information about the effects of food on behaviour, health and learning ability in both children and adults. Support for families using a low-chemical elimination diet free of additives, low in salicylates, amines and flavour enhancers (FAILSAFE) for health, behaviour and learning problems
- Natasha Campbell McBride’s new site linked to the book Gaps Diet. This is very like Specific Carbohydrate diet
- Generation Rescue is dedicated to recovery for children with autism spectrum disorders, by providing guidance and support for biomedical treatment to directly improve a child’s quality of life for all families in need.
- Got-Autism is a unique US-based online store featuring over 800 therapeutic, educational, and practical products for the Autism Spectrum, as well as resources for parents and professionals.
- A very consistently successful approach to therapy, facilitating improved communication, learning – and happiness. Highly recommended by many Treating Autism mums and dads!
- Handicapped children’s action group is a registered charity, working to provide specialist equipment for children with disabilities, learning difficulties and other special needs. The children, from all areas of the UK are unable to obtain this equipment from the NHS and because of the cost it is usually unaffordable by the families.
- HANDLE® (Holistic Approach to NeuroDevelopment and Learning
- Efficiency) is a gentle, natural, non-drug treatment modality that addresses a wide range of learning, behavior, and developmental issues.
- Wholesale and retail suppliers of edible nuts and dried fruits, especially convenient for those following Specific Carbohydrate Diet
- Offers a wide range of safe products for allergies and sensitivities including anti allergy bedding, organic bedding, air purifiers, water filters, organic paints, organic toiletries, electrostress protection and many other products to promote a healthier home environment
- Autism Treatment Strategies and Parenting Tips
- Sensory toys for hire – toys that invite play and enhance early childhood development.
- Jean is a qualified nutritionist committed to supporting the general development of children and adults on the Autistic Spectrum. While her clinic is based in Ireland, she accepts patients from all over the UK.
- John, a practitioner of Traditional Chinese Medicine, specialises in facial acupuncture, mesotherapy, beauty acupuncture & fertility acupuncture in London.
- Online supply shop offering products to support the development of people with special needs, such as Language Communication Packs.
- Totally autism-specific range of supplements and testing kits, often the only UK supplier.
- A multidisciplinary team consisting of physicians, psychologists and nutritionists, with long experience in Functional and Integrative Medicine, which embraces the cause of treating autism using the biomedical approach. The clinic is based in Porto, Portugal. Telephone consultations are available for overseas clients.
Naidex will return to the NEC Birmingham over the 28-30 March 2017 and will be packed with the largest & latest range of education, interactivity, and innovation ever seen in the brand’s history.
- A wide range of supplements and health products, including Houston Enzymes. The only UK distributors of BrainChild Nutritionals
- Search the support network to find a professional nutritionist in your local area.
- Rekha Neilson is a qualified Option Process® counsellor. One area of expertise is in helping families with kids with special needs. This tool is often used in the Son-Rise programme to empower parents to develop ways in which to help themselves and their kids.
Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorder Associated with Streptococcus, also known as PANDAS, is a condition that can occur within a child with a diagnosis of ADHD, autism, Asperger’s syndrome, obsessive compulsive disorder, or tic disorder (such as Tourettes syndrome). PANDAS leads to autoimmune-mediated inflammation of the brain, and usually occurs after several bouts of Strep throat, but may manifest even if the parent cannot recall a history of Streptococcal infection in their child.
PANDAS is is a term is used to describe a subset of children and adolescents who have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and/or tic disorders, and in whom symptoms worsen following strep infections such as “Strep throat” and Scarlet Fever. PANS is a newer term used to describe the larger class of acute-onset OCD cases – it stands for Pediatric Acute-onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome and includes all cases of abrupt onset OCD, not just those associated with streptococcal infections.
- High strength quality probiotic products.
- Treating Autism is proud to announced that we have been approved as a charitable partner in Really Responsible Leadership programme. We hope that their skills-share initiative will lead to us receiving expert support on the UK wide campaign to raise awareness of biomedical treatments for ASD.
- Watch this space for future updates on the project.
- Tardive Dyskinesia Center aims to educate the public about tardive dyskinesia, a serious movement disorder with symptoms similar to Parkinson’s disease, which can develop in patients who have been treated with certain prescription antipsychotics.
- A commercial service that provides online tools for parents managing their own child’s treatment program: shared space from which parents can coordinate between multiple team members, share multi-media information about their child, generate reports and schedule reminders, sessions and appointments. The company also provides customized software platforms to family services providers and organizations.
- UK charity exclusively dedicated to research into interventions in autism. We carry out high quality, independent research into new and existing health, education, social and other interventions. Our goal is the improvement of quality of life and outlook for the individuals affected and those around them.
- Lots of help with GFCF diet and dietary interventions in general, excellent resource. Need to register to access Forum
- This website aims to inform and educate the public that in many cases, the symptoms of autism are the manifestation of a physical illness that may be relieved in part by early and appropriate medical treatment. It is maintained by volunteers, for the convenience of caregivers and medical professionals looking for scientific references to support the use of biomedical interventions for autism.
- Clothing Solutions for Sensitive kids, including seam free socks.
- A child-led therapy that has had terrific results for many people. Son Rise run a Start Up in the UK each year and participation can be funded by the Caudwell Charitable Trust
- Special Friends Online is a safe online community for people with Learning/Intellectual Disabilities, their parents, carers, family members and professionals. It enables members to keep in touch with old friends and make new friends, to chat, play games and share inspirational stories.
- We are a friendly and reliable online store where people can find trusted products and information to help support their family’s health, particularly those who may have special healthcare needs. We provide a place for some of the best available nutritional products sourced using a combination of up to date available research and parent recommendation.
- This online shop stocks 100’s of items and Special offers, including many Special Needs Products. These include varies categories such as Auditory, Communication, Sensory, Games & Toys, Furniture and many more.
- A non-profitable company whose main aim is to give support to those who have a sibling with special needs.
- A handy website that allows you to search for all products in UK supermarket free from diary, gluten, soya etc (not just those found in the ‘Free From’ section).
- Online help for parents
- A UK centre teaching a practical, down-to-earth and solution-oriented approach to parenting.
- A sound&light therapy centre in North London with over 15 years experience of assessing and treating children and adults with a wide range of education and development problems.
- The Special Yoga Centre is a registered charity providing yoga as a therapeutic tool to babies, children, young people and adults with special needs, using Sonia Sumar’s Yoga for the Special Child programme. The primary intention of yoga for children and adults with special needs is to help each and every person reach their full potential with regards to their physical, mental and emotional health and well-being. Therapeutic yoga for children with autism helps to gently reset the nervous system creating a shift from survival mode to a feeling of internal safety and coping. As these children develop a sense of internal control and calm, they become better able to interact with others and the environment without stress, and their overall systems begin to function better. “We believe that all children are special, and that no label can define or limit a child’s potential for positive change.
- “Jan and Richard have developed a fantastic holiday park, specifically aimed at providing 5 star facilities for families and adults with autism and other communication disorders. Established two years ago, and based on the experiences of their own son, The Thomas Centre is set in 25 acres of completely private parkland and has a full range of facilities including a large indoor heated swimming pool. The properties are built to the highest standards and all the bungalows have full disabled access.”
- Visual processing interventions can show improvements in co ordination, auditory processing, spatial awareness and sequencing amongst others.